God isn't bland. The Church shouldn't be, either.
60-40 Rule: Don’t ignore the pie!

One thing for sure is if I like a pie, especially cherry or egg custard, it will be eaten in approximately 3-4 days. I don’t ignore it.

60-40 Rule?

I heard about something Alan Hirsch said at the Velocity 2010 Conference at Mountain Lake Church. After a lot of study he has concluded that the Church targets people who are like them and these dynamics are similar between most churches – family, socio-economic, worship style, etc.

This means churches are only reaching a certain group of people within the population. Hirsch’s calculations say this group makes up 40% of the whole.

What about the other 60%?

It seems the majority of churches are fighting hard over the same 40% but ignoring the other 60%.

Who are the other 60% in your community? Challenge your team this week to identify the 60%.

What are you doing through communication (web, print, word-of-mouth), weekend experiences, and your personal intentions to reach the other 60%?

Share on TwitterShare on TumblrShare via email


  1. Bill Robbins (Reply) on March 30th, 2010

    So very true. The real question is whether or not it will be possible to adapt existing churches for the 60% or if they will require something birthed out of a missionary calling to reach them. My best guess is it is the latter.


Connect with Facebook