Typically mission trips involve teaching vacation bible school, swinging a hammer or paintbrush, or serving the community through an evangelistic event. I try to go on one of these every other summer.
As a creative, do you ever feel like you could be serving more through the talents and abilities God has blessed you with? I do, so I’d like to organize a group of folks to be a part of a “mission trip for creatives.” Maybe MediaBLEEP Missions?
God has been tugging at my heart for nine months now about this. Seriously, I wanted to wait until I got all of my ducks in a row, but I don’t think that jived with God’s timing.
Still in the infant stages and seeking counsel, but here’s what I am thinking as far as a high level overview.
1. Choose a location
I’d like to choose a regional church association or a network of churches in need of a creative touch. In fact, I have been in contact with one in the upstate region of New York (more details to follow). This could be a great first go.
2. Identify the creative needs
Me and a limited number of folks, who have a desire to, travel to the selected region to meet with the association and individual churches to determine specific needs — A vision trip of sorts.
Needs can include, but not limited to the following:
- Church or ministry logo
- Website refresh/new or first web presence
- Print materials design – bulletin, brochures, etc.
- Videos – promotional for church or specific ministries
- Sound/tech system optimization
- Copywriting and marketing writing
- Community event planning and promotion
- Design for promotional materials (schwag)
- Servant evangelism through community seminars (facebook classes)
- Social media strategy – setup and training
3. Recruitment and signups
Once the location is a go, needs are identified, and a dates are in ink, it will be time for signups. I envision individuals signing up and churches sending their creative teams.
4. Travel, lodging, and meals
Travel and most meals will be the participant’s expense. However, in a lot of cases, including the pilot area I have in mind, lodging can be provided by the host association/network — cots in a sunday school room, etc. Participants can always book a hotel room, and recommendations will be provided. Finally, I’m sure several meals will be included.
5. The mission trip
I love the idea of a group of creatives descending on a region to help churches.
- Time frame? Somewhere between 3-5 days. Ideally it would encompass a weekend service.
- When? Spring or Summer 2011 (I’d like to pilot it in Fall 2010. Possible?)
- Specifics? Pairing talents with church needs, and grouping folks together to serve each church. Participants will spend significant time at an assigned church and create per their needs.
- Growth? Each night of the trip everyone will get together for devotion, encouragement, sharing, and fellowship.
Again, this is all still in the infant planning stages, and there are questions to answer such as how to handle follow up. However, I know this idea is God ordained, and I am moving forward.
Would you or your team be interested in this? Do you have additional suggestions? Interested in being an advisor? Please leave comments below or email email@example.com.
Need more background on Creative Missions?
- A Mission Trip For Creatives
- Creative Missions: Moving Forward
- Creative Missions Update
- An Open Letter to Those Considering Creative Missions